the-azascope-thumb

Yesterday I broke down the character I played at The Atlanta Zombie Apocalypse and promised another post talking about the device I was holding.

Well behold, the Azascope!

The base unit is a 1966 Jetco Huntmaster metal detector I found in the basement.

I made sure to leave the original functions intact so that it makes a lovely squelching noise as I scanned for ghost. I added an LED to the gage so I could see it in the dark, this worked out well because it let me use low light when in very dark places.

azascope-05

The above picture also shows off the custom mounts I used. The left side is from a flashlight mount I pulled from the toy shotgun we got for the photobooth. The top right is a large wood screw that is covered by an ink pen I cut to size. Under that is an old bracket that is meant to hold my garage door opener to my motorcycle but I found another way so had the part left over.

At first I only attached the lights to the side and used their original controls, but I really wanted to be able to run everything from the knobs on the top, so every week after the show I tweaked it just a little more until it all read off the same battery pack and on button.

azascope-01

Most of the parts I picked up at a local radio shack, I can control up to 6 devices but I only ended up using 4. Blacklight, Regular Light, Strobe, and scan.

azascope-02

The strobe light is the best mod I think, I took apart a large device and crammed it into another flashlight. I even managed to keep the speed adjuster within reach.

azascope-03

Now that all of it was running on the same pack I found that the batteries needed to be replaced towards the end of each night, and since I had already gone this far I added some quick release thumbscrews and another battery pack I could access with the flip of a switch.

azascope-10

Because it’s from the 60’s The huntmaster base is made of stuff that is closer to hardened rubber than it is to modern plastics and this made it great for attaching stuff too, the shoulder strap was sourced from a bag I got for free at my local gym and the screws kept it stable the whole month.

azascope-04

Gabi even sewed down the padding so it always hung exactly like I wanted it to every time.

azascope-11

The end result was a great prop that I hope to use again. Because it actually works like it’s suppose to I could really search for ghosts, and I would proudly carry this over any screen used Ghostbuster prop the next time I suit up.

That will probably be DragonCon, but don’t be too surprised if you see it sooner.