I had a lot to do this weekend. After helping Caryle move, the next biggest thing on my plate was a school project due on monday.

It was all about realism, as if we were working for a client and they needed a realistic image for their print ad. What this teaches us is lighting, shading, and blends to help us better understand how to use them for other projects more stylized.

The first step was to pick a mechanical object to recreate, I chose my custom made lightsaber.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I didn’t know if all of the chrome effects would make this project harder or easier, but I’ve had this object for a long time and I know it literally inside and out. In the end I figured this would be an advantage more then a hindrance

The pictures above was taken outside the school with a borrowed digital camera. The resolution was poor and I found it difficult to recreate the more intricate parts to the emitter. This is has far as I got on my first attempt.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I knew I would not be able to get the detail I needed, so after that lab I rushed over to Gabi’s work to get new pictures taken with a high rez camera, Gabi was kind enough to take a bunch of
shots, but this is the one I chose.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I’m confident I could have done it at an angle, but I decided the strait on approach was best, mainly because it is already a cylinder so the curves come naturally as is. Also the next big project is going to be making a magazine layout to sell the product and this gives me more options then the original picture was capable of… well at least I think it does.

Once I had the new picture I could tell right away that starting over was the right choice. After working on it for about 10 hours this is what I’ve come up with.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That is a completely digital picture built from the ground up using vector shapes. Although I did rotoscope it, I did not even use the eye dropper for color. all of the lighting and depth effects are created by eye. I think it came out pretty good, but I have four hours of lab tomorrow to tweak it even more. if it comes out noticeably different a post a picture of it.

This month has been busy for me, but well worth it on th academic side. this project alone as taught me enough to be able to successfully use my skills and that makes me feel pretty good.

On an unrelated note, I’m having a crisis of the heart on the home front, so my blog may start to get a little emo, I hope to avoid it, but it’s already on my mind, and whatever is on my mind generally ends up here. If things start to go that way, I hope you bear with me.